Five Ways to Master Your Morning
Updated: Apr 27
Mornings can be such a drag! Let me clarify that: mornings can be such a drag when you're working full time, trying to take care of your family, AND trying to lead a healthy lifestyle! As soon as you open your eyes, the weight of the world is on your shoulders. It's a race to see how much you can fit into that finite period of time we call the day. Is there really any way to master the morning?
Our days are filled with commitments. They're different for everyone, but we all have things we have to do in order to survive the day. Add in a couple of kids and their commitments and it can be overwhelming. It's easy to see how your own personal health takes a back seat when there are so many things to juggle. But mornings are crucial to the rest of your day and your overall health. If you can master your morning routine, you're set for a successful day that's less stressful, more productive, and more healthy overall. Here are my top five ways to master the morning:
1. Go to bed! And, I don't mean go back to bed! A successful morning depends on your sleep habits. If you're burning the candle at both ends and missing out on valuable sleep, you will never be the master of the morning! Sleep deprivation is also linked to numerous health conditions. Being sleep deprived will not only disrupt your morning routine, it will also disrupt your overall health. Aim for 7 to 8 hours of restful sleep per night.
2. Create a peaceful wake-up experience. A blaring alarm sends your body into fight or flight mode first thing in the morning! Choose an alarm sound that allows you to wake up in a more natural way. If you've had enough sleep, chances are you don't need a bull horn in your face to wake up anyway. Most people use their cell phones as an alarm and there are so many options besides the old school fire alarm!
3. Aim to do a ten minute meditation as soon as you wake. Morning meditators actually have better quality sleep at night. There are several phone apps and free meditation resources to get you started. I can't state it enough: YOUR LIFE WILL CHANGE FOREVER once you start meditating on a regular basis. Try meditating for one week and you'll be hooked!
4. Exercise after your meditation. If you don't have time for your full work out routine in the morning, you can just do a brief 5 to 7 minute routine right at home. Morning exercisers typically have more restful sleep and make healthier food choices for the rest of the day.
5. Make a green smoothie for breakfast. Green smoothies are a great, convenient way to pack in lots of nutrients, they're filling and they taste amazing. There are literally thousands of options, but you can simply start with adding 8 oz of unsweetened nut milk, 1 handful spinach, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, and 1 Tbsp nut butter to a blender and blend until smooth. I post green smoothie recipes frequently. Follow me on Instagram for more ideas.
Finding a new morning routine isn't easy, but can be so helpful in improving your quality of life. For more information contact us for a free 15 minute phone consultation.