Nutty Flax Bars
Flaxseeds are considered a superfood! They are a great source of the omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linoleic acid and also contain fiber and magnesium. In addition, they are a great source of plant-based protein and can be consumed in a variety of ways. Ground flaxseeds are digested well and you can obtain all the nutritional benefits, while whole flaxseeds pass through the body undigested.
Ground flaxseeds are known to improve cholesterol levels, digestion, insulin resistance, lower weight and blood pressure and reduce cancer risk. Adding flaxseeds to your daily routine is simple! Aim for two teaspoons per day and use in smoothies, yogurt, and baked goods. Flaxseeds can also be mixed with water to create an egg substitute for those who are egg sensitive or vegan.
I created this nutty flax bar recipe for an easy on-the-go healthy option with Manitoba Milling Co. smooth whole-milled flaxseed.
1/2 cup figs
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds
1/2 cup Manitoba Milling Co smooth whole-milled flaxseed
1/4 cup pepitas
1/4 cup pistachios
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup cashews
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cashew butter
4 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp cacao powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper
3. Combine the figs, coconut, seeds, nuts and cinnamon in a food processor
4. Combine remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat on medium-low heat until smooth consistency.
5. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well
6. Transfer to your baking dish and press firmly
7. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes
8. Allow to cool completely and refrigerate
9. Cut into bars once completely chilled
10. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or these bars can be frozen
Disclosure: I received a free bag of flaxseed from Manitoba and entered this recipe into their spring recipe contest.