I love brunch! Spring is the perfect setting to enjoy a healthy brunch on the patio with your family and friends. Check out these awesome tips for a brunch gathering and try these easy recipes from Simple Mills!
1. Prep the Night Before The number one tip for simplifying your brunch is to start the night before! Take a few minutes to set your buffet or dining table with plates, napkins, silverware, glasses, and flowers. Get an idea of where you’d like to have your coffee or juice station and if you will be doing a buffet style or sit down family style.
2. Keep Dishes Warm Turn on your warmer or the oven on low to keep dishes warm. You don’t want to be cooking up until the last minute or require guests to eat right when they walk in, so plan to wrap dishes in foil and keep them warm. Your guests may be bringing something that need to be heated up or kept warm, so be prepared with a warm oven.
3. Provide Allergen Friendly Options It’s likely that at least one of your guests will have a special dietary need. Consider simple gluten free, dairy free, and vegetarian options. We love this simple scone recipe because it uses just simple, wholesome ingredients (including Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix!). It is also gluten and dairy free but even those who can enjoy gluten and dairy will love these Chocolate Cherry Almond Scones!
Chocolate Cherry Almond Scones Ingredients: 1 box Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix 2 eggs 2 Tbsp water 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 3 Tbsp maple syrup 1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped ¼ cup dried cherries, chopped ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips [dairy-free] Coconut sugar, optional as topping
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 2. Whisk eggs, water, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup in a large bowl. 3. Add baking mix to a bowl, make a well, and pour wet ingredients in. Fold and stir until just combined. Let sit for 5 minutes for dough to thicken. 4. Fold in almonds, cherries, and chocolate chips. 5. Press dough into a circle on a marble or plastic cutting board [or use a Silpat] - using additional gluten-free flour [like tapioca flour] as needed to prevent sticking. Dough will be soft and sticky - using floured hands, pat down into a circle about 1/2" thick. 6. Using a wet knife, cut circle into 8 equal parts, beginning with a cut down the center. Carefully remove scones with a spatula to a parchment-lined baking sheet. 7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until scones are slightly browned and spring back when touched.
Cool on wire rack.
NOTES: If you add more maple syrup, cut back on water so dough is thick enough to spread. You could also bake these in muffin topper tins and skip the segmenting step!
4. Make a Casserole Whether it’s an egg bake, quiche, baked oatmeal, or French Toast bake, a casserole is a simple way to serve a crowd. Consider preparing the recipe in a baking dish the night before to simply reheat it in the morning.
5. Incorporate Fruits and Veggies Fresh fruit and veggies will add the perfect pop of color when your guest start snapping pics of your beautiful display. Many people focus on eggs, bacon, and baked goods at brunch, but consider adding fruits and veggies to add variety and good nutrition to help your guests leave feeling their best. Add veggies to your quiche, grated carrots to your crockpot oatmeal, a fruit salad, dried fruit in your scones, or blueberries or zucchini in your muffins. What are you favorite ways to add fruits and veggies to breakfast? We love adding veggies to our green smoothies. It's a great way to pack in nutrients in a unique way. And bonus: you can consume fruits or veggies you may not necessarily care for by adding them with other ingredients in a smoothie. None of the taste, but all of the nutrition.
6. Include a DIY Bar A DIY breakfast bar is a fun way to for guests to make the meal their own and accommodate their own dietary needs and preferences. This could be an oatmeal bar, waffle bar, or DIY bagel bar. Check out the recipe below for simple, homemade bagels. They take no more than 30 minutes from start to finish and use simple, whole food ingredients that you can pronounce and your body will recognize, including Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix. Use code LIVINGPLATE20 for 20% off your order to try this recipe or create your own using our Living Plate menus! Thank you @simplemills for the samples!
DIY Bagel Bar with Simple Homemade Bagels INGREDIENTS: 2 boxes Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix 4 eggs 1 cup water 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 4 tbsp olive oil Bagel Seasoning - dried garlic and onion, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sprouted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Sweet and savory bagel toppings
INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 4 donut pans with liquid coconut oil. 2. Whisk together eggs, water, olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Add in Simple Mills Artisan Bread mix to the bowl and combine. 3. Fill each donut mold 3/4 full with the dough. 4. Top with your choice of bagel seasoning. 5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 6. Prepare your bagel bar by beautifully arranging your bagel toppings on a table. 7. Remove bagels from the oven, let cool completely and serve with your prepared toppings.
We suggest the following topping combinations: Coconut yogurt + sliced banana + honey + walnuts + hemp hearts Sprouted nut butter + homemade jam + fresh berries Cream cheese + smoked salmon + fresh dill Sliced avocado + heirloom tomato + fresh basil Sprouted nut butter + Coconut yogurt + fresh figs Cream cheese + cucumber slices + sprouts
Enjoy and Happy Brunching!