It’s this time of year that we start thinking about our New Year’s Resolutions. How can we lose the holiday weight we’ve gained? How can we get back on track with our exercise routines? What goals do we want to meet in the upcoming year? It seems like everyone has good intentions at the beginning of a new year. Everything is fresh and new and we’re ready to tackle whatever life has in store for us. But, after a couple of months, it’s easy to forget our drive to succeed and the goals that we were so ready to accomplish. Why is it so easy for us to let go of our own personal fitness and nutrition goals?
Some of the things I hear consistently are lack of time, long work hours, fatigue, lack of finances, fear of the unknown… the list is endless. All of these things can be barriers, but only if we ALLOW them to be. It’s easy to forget, in our hectic daily lives, that WE have the power to make life changes and WE have the ability to create the lives that we want! Don’t let things like time, money, and fear limit your potential and ability to have a great life!
Obviously there isn’t one answer that fits for all, but we could all be more successful if we could work toward creating a lifestyle that would allow us to be successful with whatever goal we might have. So, whether you want to lose weight, lift heavier weights, eat healthier, or just feel better every day, you have to think about how to create a lifestyle that allows you to reach that goal. It can be overwhelming to think about making drastic lifestyle changes, but anything is possible if you believe in yourself enough to take that first step. I have seen some amazing accomplishments by people who never thought they could reach their goals in the beginning. It takes consistency over time and a willingness to be open-minded. Creating a healthy, happy, awesome quality of life requires constant change and re-evaluation of your goals, as well as a willingness to fail.
Every person is different, but in my experience, there are some universal steps that can be helpful for everyone:
1. Set a REALISTIC goal or intention, write that goal down and look at if often. Keep a slip of paper in your wallet, on the fridge, or in the car with your goal on it, so it is visible to you daily.
2. Publicize your goal. Knowing that other people are watching you can make it easier to stay on track. Or, find a partner with similar goals and lean/depend on each other.
3. Track your progress with some type of journal. I like writing things down, but you can also use electronic apps or whatever works best for you.
4. Reward yourself with something you like to do. Maybe buy a new fitness outfit, or take a weekend trip once you reach your goal.
5. Be willing to fail. Constantly challenge yourself! Sometimes it will work great, other times maybe not so much! But, it’s always good to get out of your comfort zone.
6. Keep up the good work. Once you reach a goal, don’t fall back into old habits. Work hard to maintain that goal as you start working on other goals you have for yourself!
I sometimes think that people just don’t know how great they can feel every day. Just making a few healthy changes can change your entire life! We get so caught up in daily life and we allow things like time, money and fear to keep us unhappy and unhealthy! Use the things that have been holding
you back to motivate you to be better. Create a lifestyle that allows you to be successful and healthy and, in turn, a better person for those around you!
"do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20