Animal protein is ok in limited amounts. But, it's definitely not a requirement at every meal. When I tell clients to try meat-free meals, I always here these words: "then what do I eat?" Meat has long been the focus of the standard American diet, but it can be problematic in several ways. I won't go into too much detail here, but think about your dinner plate. If you have a huge piece of meat, chicken, or fish on your plate, how many vegetables will you really eat? To get the maximum nutrient value from your meals, plant based foods should really be the focus. Meat has taken the main stage, when it should really be a side item. To get away from eating animal protein at every meal, we've created this awesome black bean burger recipe and it's become a weekly staple at our house.
2 (15 oz) cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
1 jalapeno, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup liquid from canned chick peas
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp coriander
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1. In a large bowl, mash the black beans
2. Add all ingredients and mix well
3. Create 5 black bean patties
4. Saute your patties in a large skillet, over medium heat, flipping several times until crispy.
These burgers can be used in several ways:
1. Eat these on a gluten free bun with your favorite toppings
2. Eat without the bun and topped with lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion
3. Crumble on top of a large salad with avocado salsa dressing
For more information on how you can choose a more plant-based meal plan for overall health, contact us for a free 15 minute phone consultation.