July is National Blueberry Month! I absolutely love blueberries, not just for the superb taste, but for all the awesome nutrition they contain. Blueberries have polyphenolic compounds that help decrease oxidative stress, lower inflammation (which is the root of many chronic diseases), and improve the healthy of the gut microbiome. There are lots of delicious ways to include blueberries in your diet:
1. Add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries to your daily green smoothie
2. Enjoy fresh blueberries added to gluten-free oatmeal or grain-free cereal
3. Top a salad with fresh blueberries
4. Make a homemade blueberry popsicle
5. Add fresh blueberries to your chicken salad recipe
6. Add dried blueberries to homemade trail mix
7. Top a gluten-free pancake with fresh blueberries
8. Make your own low-sugar blueberry jam
9. Add blueberries to water to create your own blueberry-infused water
10. Top dairy-free yogurt with fresh blueberries
Check out this fabulous blueberry chicken salad recipe - it's...
National Smoothie Day is June 21! I'm gonna change it up and say it's National Green Smoothie Day. I love green smoothies and have one for breakfast every day. I find it's one of the easiest ways to get a few vegetable servings for breakfast, but it's also an easy way to pack in loads of nutrition each day. I'm going to share my favorite green smoothie ingredients and how they can help improve your overall health and quality of life. I'll share my top five green smoothie recipes too!
Keeping green smoothie ingredients on hand will make it easier to vary up your combinations. All these ingredients can be stored for quite some time and your cost per smoothie is really reasonable. Plus, the nutrition you're receiving is amazing. Green smoothies really are one of the best options when it comes to maximizing nutrition.
Tip: To make my mornings go more smoothly, I place all my ingredients, minus the frozen ones, in my blender pitcher at night and place it...