July is National Blueberry Month! I absolutely love blueberries, not just for the superb taste, but for all the awesome nutrition they contain. Blueberries have polyphenolic compounds that help decrease oxidative stress, lower inflammation (which is the root of many chronic diseases), and improve the healthy of the gut microbiome. There are lots of delicious ways to include blueberries in your diet:
1. Add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries to your daily green smoothie
2. Enjoy fresh blueberries added to gluten-free oatmeal or grain-free cereal
3. Top a salad with fresh blueberries
4. Make a homemade blueberry popsicle
5. Add fresh blueberries to your chicken salad recipe
6. Add dried blueberries to homemade trail mix
7. Top a gluten-free pancake with fresh blueberries
8. Make your own low-sugar blueberry jam
9. Add blueberries to water to create your own blueberry-infused water
10. Top dairy-free yogurt with fresh blueberries
Check out this fabulous blueberry chicken salad recipe - it's...
Reversing my autoimmune disease has meant addressing many lifestyle factors, nutrition being one. I have chosen to avoid foods with shady ingredients, but if I'm honest, I miss the crunch! There's nothing like a crunchy snack to hit the spot, especially when you're in the car traveling as many of us are in the summer time. There's no shortage of crunchy snacks out there, but the questionable ingredients found in most of them just don't fit into my lifestyle. Enter Simple Mills! I have been able to incorporate several of their products, including the almond flour crackers, into my routine because they use real ingredients that my body can tolerate well.
Doesn't summer seem to be a more challenging time to stay on a healthy track? There are lots of distractions for me because we travel a lot and spend more time away from home than usual. Maybe you travel a lot this time of year too, or have kids involved in more outdoor activities or camps, or you'...